Over the past decade the choruses of the New York State Sängerbund, under the direction and guidance of the Bundes Music committee, have developed the following rules to be applied to the Sängerfest Prize Singing Competition. Much thought and discussion went into the form and substance of these guidelines. They were designed to promote and encourage more participation by all choruses of the Sängerbund. Please review these musical standards and see how they may apply to your chorus.
No chorus should feel that they must drop out of either the competition or mass chorus concert. Every voice, including yours, should and must be heard to continue promoting and advancing German culture and tradition through music and song. What heritage are you leaving for you grandchildren? Show them what it meant when you or your parents left their heimat for greener pastures. They had to work hard and fight for their existence but still had time to join with others in a tribute to Gemütlichkeit, Freundschaft, and Kameradschaft.
This repository contains the music selected for the 37th Sängerfest Prize Singing Competition hosted by the Utica Maennerchor
on Saturday 13 June 2015.
To view and print any music
just click on the title of the song.
Prize Singing Rules
1. The adjudicators will not penalize nor reward a chorus because of the key chosen for their prize songs
2. Adjudicators shall not calculate final grading until all the choruses in a particular category have completed their presentation.
3. Adjudicator Expenses: as implemented at the October 2006 meeting:
(a.) Honorarium - $300.00 stipend (includes travel expenses).
(b.) Hotel room paid by the NYSSB at the hotel designated by host verein (lodging only, no extra services).
(c.) Sängerfest badge is supplied to each adjudicator by the host verein.
(Note: The majority of meals is covered as part of the host badge and hotel complementary package.
Bundes Music Committee
1. The order of the competition for the 2015 Sängerfest is: Mixed Chorus 2nd Class, Mixed Chorus 1st Class, Ladies Chorus, Men's Chorus
2. Within each category, choruses will draw for the order in which they shall compete. This drawing will occur at the Bundes Music Committee meeting on Friday afternoon of the Sängerfest weekend.
3. Choruses shall determine for themselves the order of presentation of their two prize songs. The order of presentation shall be declared to the Bundes Music Committee at the Friday afternoon meeting.
4. Choruses may choose to sing any prize song in the key of their choice. Any key changes must also be announced to the Bundes Music Committee at the Friday afternoon meeting.
1. Choruses singing competitively in any category will be required to sing one REQUIRED SONG and one song, chosen by them, from the approved songs list distributed by the Bundes Music Committee. The two songs may be sung in any order; however, the Bundes Music Committee Chairperson must be notified prior to the performance.
2. Choruses may sing their songs in the keys chosen by their music director. The choice of key must be announced to the adjudicators before each song begins. The adjudicators will not penalize nor reward the chorus because of the key chosen.
3. A chorus shall be disqualified if the numbers of singers on stage exceeds the number of singers for whom head tax has been paid.
4. A singer may not participate in prize singing without displaying the Sängerfest Badge on his/her clothing.
Competitive Singing Categories
1. Competitive singing will be in three categories: Men's Chorus, Ladies Chorus, and Mixed Chorus. Three-part songs are allowed in both the Men's and Ladies competition.
2. Men's Chorus and Ladies Chorus competition will have only one class. There will be NO restriction on the number of singers in the performing chorus.
3. Only male singers are allowed to perform in the Men's Chorus competition and conversely only female singers are allowed to perform in the Ladies Chorus competition.
4. Mixed Chorus competition will have two classes. First Class will be for songs rated as more difficult; Second Class will be for songs rated as less difficult. The verein music directors will continue to rate the songs prior to a Sängerfest, as they did in the past. Choruses may sing their two songs in the class they have chosen without regard to the number of singers performing.
5. A Non-Competitive category has been established for those choruses who would like to sing and be evaluated by the adjudicators without being involved in the competitive singing. The adjudicators' reports would not be used by the Bundes Music Committee for any purpose and will be given only to the participating chorus.
6. All Kinderchore performances at a Sängerfest will be noncompetitive.
1. Directors may not sing along while conducting their chorus. Violation of this rule shall lead to disqualification of director and the chorus.
2. The director may give the following notes by piano at the beginning of each song: The first note for each voice part. These notes may be given twice. If all voice parts begin on the same note, the director may give that one note plus the tonic chord of the key in which the piece is written. This may be done twice. Non- conformance shall lead to disqualification.